Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Great pioneer websites

Since we are on a very limited budget for school curriculum I thought I'd share exactly what we use. The majority of the items we use for our home school are free!! I do a lot of research ahead of time to gather materials on the web or at the library. Here are a few of those resources I have found to go along with our school. This year we bought the Prairie Primer, and a number of workbooks for seat work. I work very hard at keeping our school cost to below $200 for all 3 per year. So far over the last 4 years I've succeeded.

I did a search on Pioneer Life and came up with a wonderful website all about pioneer life. This site is stuffed full of anything and everything you will ever want for a study of pioneer life. It includes crafts, cooking, and much more.

My husband and son built us a fire pit out in our backyard. I am excited about getting the chance to cook over the fire very soon. I will post about our experience doing this.

Another great resource is "The Young Man's Handybook" by Gail Kappenman and Martha Greene. Although it is written to prepare boys for life, we have used it for the whole family. There are a number of fun projects in the book from kitchen adventures to managing your money. If you have never heard of Martha Greene, click on the link and visit the website. You will be SO blessed by all the wonderful and affordable products there to make your life so much simpler.

Another major resource we use is our library. We are blessed to have a library system here that is very home school friendly. They have put together learning kits for us. They are all placed in a large bag and labeled according to what the topic is. Each library in the county has a different subject, science, history, math, language arts ect. We are able to borrow from any or all of the libraries. So utilize your local library system. You will also meet many home schoolers this way as well.

It may take more time using this approach to homeschooling, but I love it. Besides I am learning so many new things this way. If I am excited about a topic my children will be as well.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. We also have a wonderful library system that we fully use. Thanks for the website information on pioneer life.

    ReplyDelete