Thursday, August 27, 2009

Little House on the Prairie

We are REALLY enjoying our curriculum this year! I highly recommend it to anyone still looking for a curriculum this year.

I know it has been a while since I've posts our progress but we have had a crazy month! We have been busy every week. So I'll try and get you caught up on what we've done this month.

We studied owls, where they live, what they eat, and how they act. Since we live right across from a nature center we went outside after dark and listened to the different sounds in the woods. My husband is a great outdoors man and was able to imitate an owl and call an owl in to our tree. The children were thrilled at the fact an owl was in our tree right above our deck!!

We used many library books and some Internet sources to round out our study of owls.
Some Internet are:
My Owls of the World
National Geographic Kids

Books from the library:
"Owls: flat-faced flyers"
"Barn Owls"
"The book of North American Owls"

Our library also has a homeschool section and we used the Pioneer Life kit. We are very fortunate to live in an area with a large amount of homeschoolers.

We have also learned how rust forms. What is it? How does it form? What are the causes? Does it form on everything?

The kids wrote in their notebooks what they thought would happen to a nail we placed in water for a week. (I wanted to make sure it rusted!) We read a few books about rust and what different things rust.

Well that about does it. I promise to keep this more updated. The computer is very busy at our house with my husband's online classes. But keep coming back, I plan on taking more pictures to go along with our studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment