Monday, October 12, 2009

Pioneer life


A big part of pioneer life was the food. Where would it come from, would we go hungry, is there enough ect. Grains played a big part in the diet of pioneer families. To go along with our Little House on the Prairie study we bought a Grains unit study from Marmee Dear Co. The study covers a bunch of different grains, rice, wheat, Kamut, rye, triticale, spelt, barley, oats, buckwheat, flax, corn, amaranth, quinoa, millet and teff. Some of these I have never heard of let along tried. But I did notice that our local Mennonite store has most if not all of these. We have tried rye, wheat, spelt, barley, oats and flax. I must admit I feel much better after introducing these into many of my baked items.

After a short lesson on the grain of the day we went to the Bible to see how many verses on bread, baking and food we could find. Below is a list of what we found: I have used many versions to find these.

Bread:

Gen. 14:18
Gen. 47:12-13
1 Sam. 16:20
1 Sam. 21:6
1 Sam. 25:18
1 Kings 17:6
2 Kings 4:42
Nehemiah 10:37
Psalm 80:5
Psalm 102:9
Psalm 104:15
Hosea 7:8
Matthew 6:11
Matthew 26:26
Mark 14:22
1 Cor. 11:23-26
Luke 6:4

Baking:

Gen. 18:6
Gen. 40:1
Jer. 37:21
Hosea 7:4
Exodus 16:23
Lev. 2:4
Lev. 26:26
1 Kings 19:6
Matthew 13:33

Food: just a few because there are A LOT of verses in the Bible on food.

Gen. 1:11-12
Gen. 9:3
Judges 7:13-15
Psalm 78:25
Lamentations 5:9

I really enjoy turning all of our studies to Christ. Isn't that one main reason we are home schooling our children? Point them to Christ. We bought the book:" Where to Find it in the Bible: the ultimate A-Z resource" by Ken Anderson. I must tell you I am so glad we bought this book. No matter what the subject we are studying I can open this and it will point me to a scripture passage to use. Many times it is more than one. We bought this book at Dollar General for $5.00!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog! This blog looks like it's very full of info I will definitely have to check out. I also have a scrapbooking blog at www.scrappysideofme.blogspot.com, and there are links to sketches you might be interested in to make your scrapbooking go quickly sometimes. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to pull all the info back toward the Creator! I love the freedom homeschooling allows us to let God be the center of everything...because He is anyway, whether we acknowledge Him or not :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for entering in my giveaway! Loved your comment. I'm learning that a variety of whole grains in the diet is great prevention from glucose intolerance and the like. I absolutely love quinoa and it is supposed to have the highest protein content of all grains. Great blog you've got here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting and joining my blog yesterday. I must say that I am THOROUGHLY enjoying yours, what a lovely place. I will be back :o)

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for stopping by my blog! I visit your frequently! I would love to follow you back, but where is the button?

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for stopping by...following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post thanks for sharing...i love your blog...God bless you

    ReplyDelete